DEBSS clients will be encouraged to take ownership of their business ideas, and the tailored support provided will give them the information and knowledge they need to enable them to create a business they feel positive and proud about. The opportunity to meet existing successful disabled entrepreneurs and explore their business ideas will build our clients’ confidence and self-esteem. In addition, clients will have the opportunity to conduct business plan research which will encourage them to integrate in the community and enhance their social skills.
Also we will engaged our clients in developing employability skills with options like volunteering, for example.
Since its launch, The Samee Charity has worked with 294 clients of which 57% are disabled, many of whom have been out of work for more than five years, and with over 50% claiming Employment Support Allowance. The DEBSS pilot will tackle this inequality and work towards showcasing the skills and talents of disabled people within Dorset.
The remaining clients are currently receiving ongoing mentoring support with us or have been signposted to appropriate organisations that can help with their specific needs, e.g. debt management or counselling support
We are just about to launch a new website – wiseproject.education
To tell you more about us and our service, we have created a little a-z of the DEBSS Project!
- Accessible . . . our team are happy to talk to you or meet you whenever is convenient! They understand that, due to a disability, caring for someone, or just general life, you may not be able to attend an appointment during working hours.
- Beach . . . one of our favourite places to go and de-stress! We know that offices may be difficult to walk into, or a coffee shop is too busy so we meet you at a location which gives us the best opportunity to understand you.
- Creative . . . we love being creative, whether that is through looking at your skills and talents to see how we can best help you, creating activities lists for you to do or creating resources to help you on your journey.
- Dogs . . . we are a family and we love animals. If we do come to your home to do a visit, please do not shut out your furry friends. We know that animals make a more relaxed atmosphere and we will want to play ball!
- Extra . . . we do lots of extra things … as there are no barriers or time restraints on our service, we are able to offer you extra support and time so that we can work at your pace.
- Foundations . . . Sam is really strict on this one! She will not let you move on or be too creative until she knows that solid foundations are in place! In other words, she wants to know that you have done budgets, timetables and all the other things the team will ask you to do before you rush off and start your business.
- Growing . . . although it is lovely to see a business growing, we need you to make sure that you grow with it! We will help you with finding the right support, the right training and people that know and understand you and your business.
- Handholding . . . from the moment you make the first contact with our team, we will be there for you. You need to be honest with us about everything or we cannot help, so if we ask an awkward question about money or your disability, it is not that we are being nosey, we are trying to get you the best support.
- Imagination . . . we love being imaginative and find some strange ways of doing things! So if you would like to write a business plan and computer skills are not your strongest talent, then give us the information in another way … we have had business plans in play dough, pictures and mind-maps.
- Job . . . yes we know that you would like to have work and being self-employed is a job in itself. As part of our introduction to self-employment, we work through a job description and person specification of a self-employed person so you understand the skills you will need.
- Keen . . . you have an idea and you are excited … but please remember that this will take a while to set up and get going. We will help you on your journey, but please be patient … Sam is not very good at this bit as likes to rush off in all directions!
- Leisure . . . one thing about being self-employed is that is takes over your life! Please make sure that you have some time for yourself and, if you are making your skill or hobby into a business, that you find something else to do for fun.
- Mentor . . . we all need someone to turn to, to ask for help or to yell at. Make sure that you have that someone that will be honest, tell you no when you need to hear it and generally just be there to support you through.
- No ! . . . this is a very difficult word to say! Just because you are going to be self-employed does not mean that you are available 24-7 or that you will do things for free! You are important, you need to make money and you need to be firm!
- Opportunity . . . being self-employed is an amazing opportunity to do things you have never done before! You get to meet new people, create new working relationships, go on training and play! Take every opportunity that comes your way and see where it leads!
- Personal Survival Budget . . . the most important document in your life! This information will help you work out how much you need to live on each month as well as dictating how much you should be charging out at per hour. It’s the boring bit … but vital!
- Quality . . . being self-employed means that you are trading off your name, product and/or service. You have to make sure that what you offer is amazing so that people ask you to come back and recommend you to their friends.
- Resources . . . we have a wide range of resources available to help you with self-employment and we work with local disability organisations to make sure that we are accessible to you, but if there is something you need please let us know and we will see what we can do to help.
- Safe . . . as most of our DEBSS people have a disability, we know that they cannot always turn up to meetings or workshops due to a bad day. That is fine .. we understand .. but please try to send us a message so that we know you are safe! We do not mind you not turning up, but we will worry about you, so a quick message puts our mind at ease.
- Tailored Support . . . we work with you as an individual and make sure that everything we do is at a level and pace to meet your needs. There are workshops that you can attend but the majority of our work is done on a one-to-one basis.
- U.S.P . . . our unique selling point is that we support disabled entrepreneurs … what is yours? As you start to think about your new self-employed idea, ask yourself why someone would buy from you – you are special so tell us why!
- Value . . . we value your feedback on our services and our work. We need to know that what we are offering is beneficial to you so ask you to help us make it better.
- Working Hours . . . going back to work after having some time off due to an illness is hard and you may be unsure whether you will cope. We deal with this situation every day and may be able to get you some volunteering hours so that you can see how you feel about a new job role or just getting up and going to work each day. We offer placements within our own charity, so please talk to us.
- (E)Xplore . . . we all know that Sam doesn’t do big words or spelling and that she has cheated with this one .. ! We want you to explore your ideas with us, tell us your aspirations, what inspires you and what you want to do. Let’s see what we can do to help you on your journey!
- Yes . . . the one word that our team say a lot .. we encourage you to think about your idea and how you can achieve it, then we help remove the barriers that appear on your path. If you don’t try this … you will never know . . . maybe you’ll get a ¥en for it . . .
- Zebra . . . in other words, the team are very black and white! We will be honest with you, tell you what might go wrong, challenge you and appear negative . . . BUT . . . this is all to ensure that you make the right decisions for you!